Email is a widely used mode of communication in the current business scenario. Though emails are easy to compose and facilitates interaction with the far located clients and partners, business emails should be handle with care because an inappropriate email can ruin your image in the eyes of your recipient and can effect your business relations. Certain email ethics should be followed by each business person to ensure that the email serve the sender and the receiver in the best possible.
Some of the email elements that are of prime importance in business emails are:
Email Id: Your email Id should be formal and sensible, as it can effect your corporate image. Business email id should sound professional. For example, Sachin.Gupta@abc.com look more formal and sensible then firstname.lastname@example.org .
Subjects: The subject line of a business email should be short and to the point. It should better communicate the main purpose or objective of email. Try to be precise while writing the subject of a business email. Make sure that the subject line is not misleading and clearly state what a particular email is all about.
Salutations: It is useless to include ‘good morning’ or ‘good evening’ in an email, so ignore that. Do not write Mr. or Miss unless you are sure whether the recipient is a male or female. Use ‘Sir/Madam’ while writing email to an unknown person. Be conscious in using ‘Dear’ and other Salutations that may seem informal to the recipient.
Content Composition: While composing a business email be particular about the use of words and sentences. Compose an email while keeping following things in mind:
- Pronouns: Avoid excess use of pronouns in business emails as it may confuse the reader. For example, ‘We have contacted them. They said that they will be there for the meeting’. Such sentences are hard to understand and require more reading time.
- Capitalization: Business emails are case sensitive. Though capitalization is important for emphasizing certain words, names, days, locations, etc but do not use capitalization unnecessary. Use of capital words means ‘shouting’ online.
- Abbreviation and emoticons: Avoid using informer abbreviations and short forms in Business emails. For example, ‘ ‘Plz’ for please and ‘M’ for am, LOL(Laugh Out Loud), etc. Do not use emoticons in business emails.
- Editing : Once you have finished writing the content of a business email, read it again. Make sure that there is no spelling mistake. The grammar is perfect and sentences are clear in their meanings. Wrong spellings or bad grammar can communicate that either you are not serious about the conversation or lack the writing quality.
Attachments: Do not add attachments until it is extremely needed. If anyhow you have to add an attachment in your business email, always try to compress large attachments into small sizes. Also make sure that you are using a good and updated anti-virus. Do not send attachments which are full of virus.
Reply back: The reply of an email should be quick in business communication. Always try to respond a business email within 24 hour. If you thing that you need some time for making final decision, then simply reply back that you will get back to the sender after some time.
Basic Business Email Ethics :
- Do not use any defaming or offensive word or sentences . Do not disrespect the recipient.
- Do not communicate any confidential information through emails.
- Do not try to explain too many things in a single email. If you think that there are many things to be discussed then go for a face-to-face meeting or a telephonic conversation.
- Try to keep the content of your email concise. Long email content should be avoided in business emails. Try to convey bullet point information.